Bruins’ Lucic to be arraigned on assault and battery charge

Content warning: This story details an alleged assault.

Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic is scheduled to be arraigned in a Massachusetts court on Tuesday on a charge of assault and battery against a family member. The arraignment is scheduled to take place in Boston Municipal Court.

Lucic, 35, was arrested by Boston Police in the early morning hours of Nov. 18 after a domestic incident. Sources told Daily Faceoff that a 911 call was made on Friday night saying that Lucic attempted to choke his wife, Brittany, after a verbal argument allegedly turned physical.

According to a copy of the police report, which was obtained by the Boston Globe, Lucic allegedly pulled his wife’s hair and police “observed redness on the victim’s chest area.”

“She stated that she attempted to walk away from her husband and stated that her husband grabbed her by the hair and pulled her backwards,” police wrote in the report, according to the Globe. “She stated that in doing so, the suspect stated to her that she was not going anywhere.”

Police also wrote that Lucic appeared to be intoxicated when he answered the door and stated “nothing happened” and provided no explanation for the incident. 

When told that he was going to be arrested for domestic violence, officers observed a broken lamp on the nightstand and what appeared to be shards of broken glass on the floor, while escorting him to his bedroom to get clothing.

When Boston Police asked Lucic’s wife whether Lucic attempted to strangle her, “she stated he did not,” according to the Globe. Sources said it was the Boston District Attorney’s office who decided to press charges in this case, based on the evidence provided by police.

Sources also said Lucic’s children were hosting a sleepover at their downtown condo that night with friends over. According to the police report, the argument allegedly began over a missing cell phone.

“Operations relayed to the responding officers that the reporting party/victim called and stated that her husband attempted to choke her,” police wrote, according to the Globe. “The victim stated that her husband could not locate his cellphone after returning to their apartment after a night out. She stated that the suspect began yelling at her, demanding his phone back, believing she had hidden the phone. She stated that she did not have the phone or know where it was.”

The Bruins announced on Saturday that Lucic was taking an “indefinite leave of absence” from the team after what it only described as an “incident.”

“Milan is taking an indefinite leave of absence from the team,” the team said in a statement Saturday. “The organization takes these matters very seriously and will work with the Lucic family to provide any support and assistance they may need. We will have no further comment at this time.”

Lucic signed a one-year, $1M deal to return for a second tour of duty with the Bruins on July 1. He could earn an additional $500K in performance-based bonuses. 

Lucic had only played four games this season, most recently missing additional time after blocking a shot, and coach Jim Montgomery said on Friday a few hours before the incident that his rehab process was slow.

At an arraignment in Massachusetts, the defendant is informed of the charges against them, then enters a plea, and the judge may choose whether to set bail or not. 

The NHL has not yet weighed in on Lucic’s leave of absence or the charges pending against him.

Source link

Quitter la version mobile